Nov 17, 2019  
2015-2016 Academic Catalog 
    
2015-2016 Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

BIO 150-04 - Intro to Biological Inquiry

4 credits (Spring)
How Our Other 90% Lives. Only 10% of the cells in your body are human – the other 90% belong to the diverse world of microorganisms. In this course, we will investigate strategies microorganisms use to colonize our food and thrive inside our bodies, ultimately making up the majority of cells we carry around each day. Topics addressed will include the biology of bacteria and viruses, what makes a microorganism harmless or dangerous, how microorganisms become resistant to antibiotics, and how we protect our food and ourselves from potentially harmful microorganisms. You will design and carry out independent research projects to test your hypotheses, and communicate your findings to a broader audience. This class will be taught in a “workshop” format that combines laboratory work, discussion, lecture, and various group exercises.

Prerequisite: None.
Instructor: Shields-Cutler